Pages


Monday, July 6, 2009

Kaden Is The Sweetest Thing

I'd like to share a conversation between me and Kaden, my three-year old son, sometime last week that I found very heartwarming.

(Out Of The Blue)
Kaden: Mommy, I love you so so so much!
Me: Really? That's so sweet, baby. Mommy loves you so much, too!

Kaden: You are the best mommy in the whole world.
(*thinking wow, galing! I never thought him to say that!!)
Me: Aww, thanks baby.

Kaden: You are perfect, mommy! I love all the parts of your body.
(*completely flummoxed! perfect?!? how the heck does he know what that means?! but he must have meant he loved everything about me, tehee!)
Me: *Speechless! Very very touched! gives Kaden a big hug and a big fat kiss!
Kaden: *beams

My mom (who witnessed the conversation): Kaden, BOLERO! :)
Me: (proudly) Hah! I bet not many 3 year-olds say that to their mommies!
That's my son, the sweetest thing ever. :) Yes, he can be awfully naughty [biggest understatement]. He is, after all in his terrible three! But he never fails to warm his mommy's heart especially on days when she badly needs it.

Now, I don't claim to be the best mom, nor claim to be perfect. For I know better than anyone that I am less than perfect, especially as a mother. But for my 3 year old to see me that way? I just might be doing something right.

Us mothers we always try our hardest, don't we? I'm just happy that in the eyes of my 3 year old, I am"the best" and "perfect" because I know soon enough (in his teenage years) his opinion of me just MIGHT change.

Motherhood has been quite a journey for me, and to think I've barely even scratched the surface. Especially now at Kaden's age where I have to discipline him and instill proper values that I know will shape him as a person. I try to be extra careful in handling his emotions because I am aware that everything I say and do now MAY have a lasting effect on him. Baka magka-childhood trauma!

I used to tell myself that I won't be the kind of mother that spanks her children, but I've learned that certain occasions will require you to teach them that you mean business. I try to avoid disciplining him when I am angry. So, I always take a deep breath before saying or doing something I might regret later on. Sometimes, my mother says I'm too lax, but I always reason that Kaden's a child and there are times that I should just let him be what he is, a child.

There will be lessons that he will have to learn for himself, sometimes the hard way. He will have to stumble and fall, to know how to be careful. No parent wants their kids to get hurt, but we will have to face it. As much as we'd want to, we can't always be there to watch their every step.

Now that Kaden's going to school, there are things that he gets exposed to that we've tried to protect him from while he was at home. It's unfortunate but unavoidable. So I just try to teach him what I can and always always remind him how much we love him.

My reason for blogging? NONE. Kelangan ba ng reason?!? Heheh. But I'm hoping, 15 years from now my teenage son will find himself reading my blog and knowing how much he means to his mommy.

I love you, K! You give mommy a reason to be proud everyday, sweetie.

6 comments:

dyan said...

This makes my heart melt. awwww....
You're one lucky mom.

Art Eustaquio said...

hehe Kaden has always been sweet.. in his heart.. he's as sweet as he is naughty haha very active and full of spirit :-) i miss you guys. Wish I were home with you

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Mike Turvill I am one of the owners of Nurture Spa in Tagaytay...

I noticed one of your ambitions for 2009 is to have a Mag Sing Irog Massage in Nurture...thank you for putting us on your wish list...we are currently planning a renovation up until October 2009 however please feel free to e-mail me on mike@spaessentials.com.ph and we would be happy to arrange such a treatment before Christmas for you and your husband...

best wishes

Mike

dyan said...

i hope they'll give the spa package for free..or discounted.heehee

Anna said...

awwww mannnnnn how sweet is this!!!!

MaribenChristine said...

D and A, :) Yes Kaden is very sweet! Just as he is very naughty! heheh.

Hi Mike. My husband is not based in the Philippines and we have limited time to go places while he is here. But we will try to make time so we can spend a night or two in Nurture Spa. I'll let you know. :)

Anna, 2 years from now ganyan na din si Laz!