Pages


Thursday, July 16, 2009

Different Like Coco.

A children's book about Coco Chanel?

Why not?

Different Like Coco (2008) is a lighthearted and simplified portrayal of Coco Chanel's rich and dramatic life by first-time children's book author/illustrator, Elizabeth Matthews. The author took all the charmed parts of Coco's rise from rags to riches story and accompanied it with watercolor [cartoon] illustrations to entertain readers.

One day when I have a little girl of my own, I shall read Coco's inspiring story to her so she will grow up knowing Coco Chanel before she will know of the brand.

Now will someone please get me this book? :)

**********************************
I personally am a big fan of Coco Chanel--the fashion legend, the woman known to have revolutionized the 20th century fashion industry, the designer whose impeccable style and taste brought us the little black dress (LBD).

I'm a fan of the woman, and not just the name.

I absolutely adore the classic and vintage Chanel look. Coco's style of uncluttered simplicity and uncomplicated classics is probably why I automatically equate the name Chanel to timeless elegance. Also, I wouldn't mind owning a classic flap or a reissue sometime in the near future. ;)

Coco Chanel was named by TIME Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century, the only one in her field to be included. To say that Coco was a woman ahead of her time is not only limited to her being a designer, which is probably one of the reasons why there are many who are fascinated by her and her life story, myself included.

I can't wait to watch Audrey Tautou (Amelie) portraying Coco Chanel in Anne Fontaine's Coco Avant Chanel (Coco Before Chanel) which has already made a debut in France last April 22 but is yet to be shown in the US sometime September this year.











Incidentally, Audrey Tautou is also the newest face of Chanel No. 5, joining the ranks of Marilyn Monroe, Nicole Kidman and Catherine Deneuve.

**************************************
Edit 7/18/09: Thanks to Kit for offering to get me the book in Canada! :) To those who were planning to "gift" the book sana to me, thanks for the thought pero iba nalang! Hehehe.

6 comments:

Kit said...

Hi Mar, I work in a bookstore here and I get 30% employee discount. Do you want me to get the book for you? My last day is on Sat, so might as well take advantage of the discount..hahaha

Let me know! =)

MaribenChristine said...

Hi Kit! That would be nice! :) But how will I pay you? Are you coming home soon? :)

Tisha said...

I personally like Nicole Kidman's ad better. How about you? :-)

Anna said...

Gasp! Thanks for sharing this! Now i want that book too!!!!!!

MaribenChristine said...

Tish, I liked the pace of Nicole's better. But I like that they picked Audrey as their new chanel girl. :)

Anna, baka meron sa Fully Booked! :)

Anna said...

I agree! I like Audrey's better. Nicole is gorgeous, with those perfect features, but something about Audrey's quirky beauty seems more European, more Chanel.