Pages


Monday, August 23, 2010

Vanishing Twin

I know of a lot of people who are dying to have twins. In fact, some women who are trying to conceive even take fertility pills hoping to increase their chances of having multiple gestation. 

I always found the idea of having twins so adorable. When we see parents pushing around their twin strollers in the malls, we can't help but go "aawwww", right? It never occurred to me though, how it would feel if God would bless us with twins... until I went for my first ultrasound last February. 

I always thought that having twins is genetic. Since my side of the family has no known history of twins and Art's side has none either, I never had hopes that we could have twins. My current pregnancy is unplanned, as with all the rest. Because I only have one remaining ovary and my doctor told me that it might be difficult for me to have kids after I'm 30, we decided that "control" is not in our dictionary. Who knew that I could still be so fertile with only one ovary left?

Since I know my body too well, I can always tell I'm pregnant usually even before my period gets delayed. When I went for my first check-up in Dubai, I wasn't even 7 weeks pregnant. I remember my shock and disbelief when the ob-gyn called my attention to the ultrasound screen and showed me something that looked similar to this.
It showed two gestational sacs! Unbelievable!

I remember blinking twice before asking the doctor, "are you kidding?". She just smiled at me and explained that at the moment, one sac was significantly smaller than the other so we will have to check after 10 days to make sure that they are both viable. 

I was beyond shock and disbelief when I left her clinic and went out to my friend, Jenny, who came with me to the appointment. I remember telling her what the doctor said and laughing off the idea because at that time it just seemed preposterous to me.

Of course when I got home, it slowly started to sink in.

I wasn't able to sleep well for 10 days. I stressed and worried about how I can handle having twins in addition to my two boys. At least Kaden can already help me out, but Carlos is still very much a baby. It was hard enough for me being alone in Dubai and taking care of the two boys while Art was out, what more with two additional babies?!?

I called Dra. May, my Ob-gyn in Zamboanga and asked her some questions. Turns out that genetics only  increases the chances of twin pregnancies but it is possible to have twins even if it doesn't run in your family. She also told me the possibility of a "vanishing twin" when I told her that the two sacs were not the same in size. It was the first time I heard about it, so I had to research.

My parents, my brother, and Kaden were all very excited about the idea but honestly, I wasn't. I was scared shit. Art told me not to worry because God won't give us anything we can't handle. We prayed about it, and he was right.

When we went back for the next appointment, the doctor confirmed that there was only one viable sac which already had a heartbeat. Instead of being disappointed, I realized that I felt relieved.

Kaden on the other hand, refused to leave the clinic unless the doctor takes back what she said. He wanted to have twins so bad. *Lol* Art and I had to talk to him after that.

Apparently, the Vanishing Twin Syndrome is a lot more common than most people know.


Read more about vanishing twins here.

I still think its cute to have twins. But I'm not hoping to have one just yet, maybe after 5 years? :) Sometimes when I'm out shopping for baby clothes, I still get to thinking about what it would be like if we really had twins? Super magastos! Imagine having to buy two of everything! :) I also cannot imagine how I will nurse the twins! I got some ideas online...
... but I don't think I could have handled it! :)

Anyway, I'm now on week 33 and the 7 weeks to go is very agonizing. I can't wait to meet our new baby and go home to introduce her to her excited kuyas. Help us pray for an easy delivery and a healthy baby girl.

Right now we still don't have a final baby name! Its easier pala to think of baby boy names than of girl's. Oh well, I think today I will start washing her newborn clothes.

No comments: