Pages


Monday, August 9, 2010

In Search Of A New Everyday Bag

I need a new bag!!! 

For a few months now I've been trying to decide on a new everyday bag to replace my overused and abused Neverfull mm, which has been an amazingly durable everyday schlepping bag for over a year now. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Bbag or an oversized Alexa. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no obsession with luxury bags, probably because for one I can't afford to be obsessed with them and second, isn't it a bit shallow to obsess over such worldly things? *Lol* 

What I do have is a very strong appreciation for designer bags, not because of the label or the price tag but because if you really think about it, they (well, some of them) can be quite an investment [but not in a literal sense]. After all, I myself cannot see how bags can be called a solid investment by any reasonable definition of the word. My personal take is that I think of it as an investment in terms of buying quality, durability and classic style. Not to mention, the possibility of being able to resell it later on (at a lower value of course) when you get tired of it. Aside from that, I have come to a realization that it is more practical to buy one designer bag that you can weather, rather than buying numerous inexpensive 'disposable' bags. 

There are people who frown upon those who like buying bags with a label, that's their opinion and its really none of my business. However, I don't see any reason why they need to make snide remarks about those who do indulge in buying designer. I know some women who never gave in to the temptation of buying designer bags even if they can afford it, and I truly admire them for it. But how about the rest who make negative remarks about designer bags but end up buying class A knockoffs or replicas? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? 

I seem to have gone off topic for a bit there, but anyway, here is the Mulberry Oversized Alexa that I'm coveting right at this very moment.
The bag is named after and inspired by british style icon/"it" girl, Alexa Chung.

Olivia Palermo using her Alexa as a handbag.
Katie Holmes using her Alexa as a crossbody bag.

Last season's colors: Yellow-butter, Ink and Oak.

I really fell in love with the Alexa in Ink. This is the one I can imagine myself carrying. :)

Unfortunately, it's no longer in stock. :( And they have new sets of colors for this season, which consists of colors such as Grape and Plum. From the Mulberry website, the Grape shade looks a bit close to Ink but I really want to see it in person prior to making a decision. 
The Balenciaga I want is the Giant City in Black Noir with GSH. 
I've been lusting over a Balenciaga for a few years already. There are just too many yummy colors, and  its not very easy to keep yourself from drooling. Aside from black, I think this season's Pomegranate is also a very lovely color! 
It's very hard to decide between the City and the Alexa but I had to put my current lifestyle into consideration. I have two hyper little boys and a baby girl on the way so I need a bag that I can wear while on-the-go. This makes the option to use it as a crossbody bag a huge plus for me. I also love that the oversized seems large enough for me to put one or two baby bottles and a few diapers here and there along with my essentials, just in case I'll be too lazy to be dragging the diaper bag along. 

Oak is only my second choice in case there is absolutely no hope for them to bring Alexa back in Ink. But even Oak is currently out of stock for the oversized Alexa all across the US. Right now, there are no pre-orders available at La Gargonne and Net-a-porter for the oversized. Although NAP has the regular alexa available.

Oh well, I'm still reading reviews and researching about what size would be right for me since I'm short. I re-read manilafashionobserver's post about her regular Alexa and I'm now thinking twice about the oversized. I hope we can go to Barney's in Manhattan soon so I can at least see the bags in person, even if its in another color. Just so I can get a feel of it before making a final order. :)

No comments: